The Islamic Information Center is proud to announce its second annual convention, the American Leadership Initiative for Muslims, to take place on September 2 – 4, 2011 in Bethesda, MD. We are seeking the best and brightest from each community, professionals, students, community activists, and anyone who wants to make a difference to attend this action-oriented convention. This convention is different than any other type of Muslim convention in a few ways.
The American Leadership Initiative for Muslims Convention is dedicated to brainstorming actionable ideas, plans, and initiatives to elevate the status of our community in the United States. At the conclusion of the convention, attendees will return to their home communities with specific plans of action to effectuate these goals, and the Islamic Information Center will help to coordinate these nationwide initiatives throughout the year.
- This is an action oriented convention, dedicated to creating new and realistic solutions – nothing at this convention is “hypothetical“
- All attendees participate in discussions on the future of our community in this country
- This event features organizations that have succeeded in different ways in helping Muslims and other innocents around the world, including Bahrain Center for Human Rights, Amnesty International, the United Nations, the NAACP, and more!
- The convention will also feature various government agencies and elected officials responsible for policies that affect us all, such as the Department of State, the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Treasury and more!
- Attendees will have the opportunity to exengage in working simulations of political activism – getting on the job experience .
- Upon sufficient interest, there may be the opportunity for a Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit for licensed attorneys.
- This is not a “large scale” convention with innumerable attendees, but a convention that seeks to involve community members who want to make a difference.